Sharing the Basics: Creating a Successful Community Garden!
October 14 @ 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Beauty’s Community Garden’s, Ashley Hadley (Garden Coordinator) and Yvette Leno (Founder and Director)
as they share their knowledge, tips and secrets to growing a personal or community sustainable garden.
Participants will Learn:
- The basics of managing a community garden.
- Summer and Fall planting.
- What Grows Best and Where?
- Cultivate the healthiest soil to grow anything.
- Gain confidence in self sustainability, and the ability to grow plants.
- Loads of Tips and How to info!
- WHEN: Saturday, October 14th, 2023
- TIME: 10 am-11 am
- WHERE: Beauty’s Community Garden: 3201 Airline Dr. Houston, TX 77022
- Admission: 12 -100 yrs. old 🙂
- FEE: $10 Donation — All fees support Beauty’s Community Garden Programs. Participants receive one free class after every three classes.
- RSVP Begins: On sale now
- Share Link: https://bit.ly/Creating-a-Community-Garden-101
- Program Questions: [email protected]
- Beauty’s Community Garden Website : www.beautyscommunitygarden.org
- Cancellation Procedure: Your mobile number will be collected (and will only be used) in case there is an urgent message. This is usually used in case we need to cancel or reschedule the event, usually due to unexpected problematic weather conditions. All other communications will be sent via email. Note we do not sell or share your information with any other organization and/or business. We do collect certain information to gauge participation and the demographics of attendees.
- Note: If this class gets canceled, the fee collected will be used as a credit for a future class. Fees collected help to support Beauty’s Community Garden’s programs.
- What you should bring: Your own water and refreshments.
Instructors: Ashley Hadley and Yvette Leno
Meet Ashley Hadley, Beauty’s Community Garden – Volunteer Instructor / Garden Coordinator! 🍎🍓🥬🥕
Howdy! My name is Ashley Hadley, Garden Coordinator/Volunteer Instructor at Beauty’s Community Garden. As a passionate gardener, I find joy in giving back to the community. Gardening is more than just cultivating beautiful flowers and nutritious produce; it’s also a way to promote sustainable living and connect with others. I’m constantly seeking opportunities to share my love of gardening and create positive change in the community. Let’s work together to cultivate something truly amazing!
Meet Yvette Leno, Owner Beauty’s Community Garden 🍎🍓🥬🥕
Yvette is driven by love of her community. “I am blessed and privileged to use the ground from my heritage to sow seeds that provide access to healthy fresh food, a basic human right.”
Yvette’s grandparents, Ernest and Beauty Leno, purchased property in 1926. Yvette, later inherited the land. In 1991, a devastating fire destroyed the family’s homestead. In 2012, Yvette repurposed the land into a community garden she named after her grandmother, “Beauty.”
Facilitator & Instruction Team
We appreciate the support of all participants.
Beauty's Community Garden is located at 3201 Airline @ E. 32nd Street, in Independence Heights–the first African American municipality in Texas. Our mission is to close the gap on food inequities and achieve a community culture of health and well-being. Our programs, events and educational materials focus on breaking the cycle of food insecurity, poor nutrition, and the resulting health outcomes people experience who have poor access to fresh produce. These communities are called food deserts, and our garden is located in one of forty plus food deserts in Houston. We are committed to transforming lives through showing the connections between growing foods and their nutritional impact on health, wellbeing and life's possibilities.